Castes in Grendel's Revenge represent a group of monster that have close ties and similarities. There are three castes:
- Undead: Monsters risen from the grave to come back and haunt those that killed them.
- Humanoid: Supposedly, they existed long before the pink-skins, but they bear a distant resemblance to them, especially since they stand on two legs and wear armor and wield weapons.
- Chimera: The chimera are magically enhanced beasts that are wonderful abominations of the mundane animals that roam the world.
Each caste has strengths and vulnerabilities:
- The undead are slower to heal and vulnerable to sunlight, but have access to magic and can use typical weapons and armor. However, metal from which most weapons are made, hurts them profoundly.
- The humanoids are abominable magic-users, so they avoid it all costs. However, they are particularly proficient at manipulating weapons and armor, which is especially handy when those items are enchanted. However, they tend to be vulnerable to disease and poison.
- The chimera are more like typical beasts and generally avoid items, but they'll hoard them just like everyone else. They are very adept at using magic and have a great natural toughness, when using their natural attacks. They are vulnerable to the elements though.
Each caste is divided up into separate races, and there are both social and wandering monsters from either castes. While they hold much in common, both the social and wandering monsters have drawn boundaries between themselves and focused on different sorts of lifestyles. Castes have other effects on the game as well:
- Social monsters may only form grumbles with members of the same caste.
- Wandering monsters may only reincarnate within their caste
- All caste monsters gain the bonuses and penalties associated with their particular caste.
Social Monsters | Grendel's Favor | Wandering Monsters | Death | Resources | Castes and Races | Attributes | Karma | Adventurers
Home | Help Summary
Copyright ©1996-2002, Worlds Apart Productions, LLC